Questions to Ask When Touring Assisted Living Facilities
When calling or visiting a prospective Assisted Living Facility, this checklist can be used as a guide to help ensure that you are asking important questions and when you log the answers from each facility it can make it easier to compare those being considered.
- Is the facility close to a hospital, family, and friends, close to transit, shopping, and parks?
- Did residents appear to be content and well cared for?
- Does the staff seem friendly, helpful and accommodating?
- What is the ratio of staff to residents?
- Does the number of staff seem adequate for the number of residents?
- What is the policy for holding a resident’s unit should hospitalization occur?
Care and Health Maintenance:
- Can the facility accommodate an increasing level of care needs (e.g. assisted living, nursing care, memory care)?
- Is there a separate portion of the facility designated for those with moderate to severe dementia?
- At what point is a person not qualified to be a resident based on their level of care need?
- What type of medication assistance is available?
- How are prescriptions filled?
- Is a nurse available for temporary skilled nursing needs?
- Are there personal services on-site such as beautician/barber, sundries store, postal services?
- Can the dining facility accommodate special diets?
- Are there any restrictions on cooking or keeping food in the rooms?
- Can the facility deliver meals to the room?
- Is transportation to medical appointments or local stores available?
- Do the residents have a choice of activities?
- Is there a designated activities director or department?
- Is exercise offered daily?
Building Amenities and Features:
- Does furniture come with the room?
- Do units have telephones, internet and cable T.V.? If so, how is the billing handled?
- Does the facility allow pets?
- Does the facility have smoke detectors, sprinklers, and emergency evacuation plan?
- Do the lounge areas seem comfortable and inviting at the facility?
- Does the facility offer an outside patio or balcony for residents?
- Are there overnight accommodations within the facility for out-of-town visitors?